The Luxembourg pancakes French braids are soft, very aromatic, typical of Luxembourg. Typical of the Carnival period, but known and appreciated by the children throughout the year, these pancakes can be found on the streets of the Grand Duchy, or prepared in the homes of busy moms to mix sweets for their children, especially for the occasion.
The Luxembourg pancakes are actually kind of sweet small brioche, which do not require a long rising and are then fried instead of baked. They taste and texture very different from those we are accustomed to call "pancakes", but they are also different from our typical "brioche" which instead are soft. But they are so aromatic and pleasing aromas that definitely worth a try and taste.
The Luxembourg pancakes are not perhaps among the most popular sweets of Carnival, and unless you have a "hook" on the spot will be difficult to recover a reliable recipe. I based on what we know of these pancakes I've found at allrecipes one that best approaches, the result is really good!
Read also how to make fried Facts
How do the Luxembourg pancakes
The Luxembourg pancakes are delicious braids, simple and very tasty, typical of the Carnival period.
Ingredients (for 7 pigtails)
- To prepare the Luxembourg pancakes started to heat the milk in which you put the butter into pieces and let it melt. Then let cool.
- In a bowl brought together the flours, sugar, baking soda, the grated rind and a pinch of salt. Add the egg and lukewarm milk and work it all until you have a smooth and compact dough.
- Put the dough in a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let it rest for an hour. You will find that the mixture increases in volume, it is normal as it is not a dough prepared with the yeast.
- Take back the dough and roll it out into a rectangular sheet, from which you are going to get 21 strips of almost 1cm thick. Take three strips of dough and form a braid, closing the ends possible.
- seed oil heated in a large frying pan and when hot fry the braids pinwheels during cooking to brown them evenly.
- As you are ready to dry up excess oil on kitchen paper, then brush them with the liquid honey, to give shine.
- Your Luxembourg pancakes are ready to be enjoyed!