There lemon meringue pie, or lemon meringue pie, It is one of the most cakes notes of American origin, also known as Grandma cake duck. It 'a very tasty cake, made with a base of pastry, stuffed with a delicious lemon cream that gives the cake its characteristic yellow color. The cake is completed with a final thick white layer, made of meringue.
The lemon meringue pie is a cake that has become the symbol of America! Although it seems that the most remote origins of this cake are from rintraccirsi in England, then the lemon pie actually become an American symbol thanks to the wide diffusion that has had in overseas land.
The lemon meringue pie is a cake served as dessert, characterized by typical tufts of meringue on the surface, which are golden in well Calso oven, to give the tips a brown appearance. The inner softness of the layer of meringue fits perfectly with the creaminess of the custard from the rich flavor of lemon. The base is a kind of pastry, simple and delicate flavor, which with its elastità abbaracia the mold which is traditionally the one with the typical undulations of pies.
Read also how to make the tart lemon
How to make lemon meringue pie
The lemon meringue pie or lemon meringue pie is a classic recipe of the American tradition.
Ingredients (for 8-10 persons)
For the cake base:
For Cream Lemon:
For the meringue:
- To prepare the lemon meringue pie started to prepare the base of the cake, to do it together in a mixer the flour and cold butter into pieces and blend it all. Add sugar, egg white, lemon juice and a pinch of salt. even blend it all.
- Transfer the dough on a lightly floured work surface, compacted the dough, make a ball and wrap in plastic wrap to make it harden in the refrigerator at least 1 hour or so.
- Meanwhile devote to preparing the lemon cream. Gathered in a thick-bottomed pan powdered sugar and frumina, aggiugete water (or water and milk to the extent half and half) and work with a whip eliminating any lumps. Transfer the pan on the heat and let thicken the cream, you will find that it becomes thick and glossy.
- Now add the lightly beaten egg yolks and work well with a whisk, then again the lemon juice (you have squeezed and filtered through a sieve) and always work with the whip, again leaving the cream on the fire to thicken.
- Finally when the cream is ready, add the butter into pieces and melt completely. Transfer the cream into a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and allow to cool in contact.
- Take the dough in the refrigerator and roll it out of the base forming a disk, coated with this for a cake tin greased tart, raising the edges. Prick the bottom with the tines of a fork, then cover with a sheet of parchment paper and settle on something that gives weight, such as ceramic beads (typical of firing blindly) Or dried vegetables. Bake the base of the tart in a preheated oven at 180 ° for 30 minutes.
- While cooking the prepared base the meringue, you work until stiff the egg whites very firm (take care that are at room temperature), add the powdered sugar, lemon juice, cream of tartar and sugar, until you get a soft meringue , glossy and firm.
- Baked the base and remove the weight, cover with the cream and bake at 160 ° again for about 15-20 minutes. Remove the cake from the oven and fill with the meringue, you will leave in tufts and bake again for another 20 minutes, until you see that the meringue begins to brown on the surface.
- Then baked the cake and let it cool completely. Then store it in the refrigerator to make it firm. It 'better to let rest 5-6 hours, or even overnight.
- Your lemon meringue pie ready to be served!
Author's tipsMarianna Pascarella
If you do not like the meringue you can create a variant of the pie, and replace it with the whipped cream!