The apple strudel (apfelstrudel) A typical dessert of Trentino Alto Adige, whose origins date back to the distant seventeenth century. The recipe for this famous dessert was introduced in Italy by the Turks, who in the seventeenth century dominated Hungary, and thus the result of another sweet, baklava, which is very similar to our Strudel.
Apple strudel then spread in Austria and later in Trentino, where this dessert has found fertile soil, becoming almost sweet symbol kingdom of apples! No coincidence that the apple strudel is prepared with apples produced in this area, the rennet or golden delicious apples. Although there exist many variations, both in terms of filling that in terms of mix, the basic ingredients are definitely apples, pine nuts, raisins, sugar and flavorings such as lemon and cinnamon.
Apple strudel is a delicious dessert that surely all lovers of sweets made from apples and more traditional sweets can not taste! You find a faster and easier version prepared with the pastry (also wanting the ready, making it an also sweet last minute) Or more strictly, as tradition dictates, with strudel pastry, as described in this recipe.
Read also how to make the strudel of apples and grapes strawberry
How to make apple strudel (Apfelstrudel)
Apple strudel (Apfelstrudel) is an Austrian and Trentino typical sweet made of a very thin pasta, like a puff pastry and a filling made of apples, raisins and pine nuts.
Ingredients (for 4-6 persons)
For the pasta Strudel:
For the stuffing:
- To prepare apple strudel (Apfelstrudel) started preparing the dough strudel, a very thin dough, elastic and light taste, which envelop the apple filling, preserving all the good flavor. Brought together in a bowl the flour and a pinch of salt, add the egg and oil and start working them ingredients. Also add the water and work again until you have a smooth and elastic dough.
- When the dough is ready let it rest while preparing the filling, gently covering it with a cloth.
- Soak the raisins in the rum to revive her for about ten minutes.
- For the filling, peel the apples, cut into wedges and even into thin slices, assembling them into a bowl, then sprinkle with lemon juice to prevent them discolouring. Add sugar and cinnamon and stir. Then also add the drained raisins and pine nuts and mix well. Wishing you can also add the grated rind of the lemon.
- Now toasted breadcrumbs that will serve to absorb the apple juice and prevent the dough soften. Melt the butter, add the breadcrumbs and stir to toast it, you'll have to obtain a crumb.
- Roll out the dough into a thin strudel, you can roll the dough on a sheet of parchment paper to make it easier (also will be a valuable aid to wrap the strudel). Then spread on the pastry toasted breadcrumbs, leaving 1 cm from the free edge. Also completed distributing apple filling and wrap the dough over itself to form the strudel. Check that you have closed the borders.
- Engrave the strudel on the surface with the miter cuts, then brush the surface with the rest of the melted butter and sprinkle with brown sugar.
- Bake the apple strudel in the preheated oven at 180 degrees for 30 minutes, then sfornatelo and let it cool completely.
- Your apple strudel is ready, serve it in slices with a sprinkling of powdered sugar.