THE corn dog I am a typical American street food, almost a symbol of the United States, at least as famous hot dogs. Common preparation of county parties, there is no event in which you will not find stalls frying the sausage on a stick at the time, to make them still enjoy hot and crispy, maybe accompanied with common sauces: mayonnaise, Ketchup or barbecue.
The corn dog is a sausage covered in a batter made of corn flour, 00 flour, milk and eggs, fried in plenty of oil, or alternatively for a lighter version, baked. The sausage is cut in half and stuffed into a wooden stick, then useful to keep it when you eat.
The corn dog is a preparation that goes back to the 20's, even if it is only between 1938 and 1942 that claimed becoming famous thanks to Carl and Neil Fletcher, who proposed them as corny dogs at the Texas State Fair. As well as in the United States the recipe for corn dogs has become famous all over the world, sometimes with a little 'different names, such as "Panchuker" in Argentina, "Pogo sticks "in Canada or" Pluto Pup "in Australia. Simple and delicious the corn dog can thrive even on your tables!
Read also how to make buns for hot dogs
How to make corn dog
The corn dogs are a street food typical American, one of those preparations that can not miss in the county fairs.
Ingredients (serves 6)
For the batter:
- To prepare corn dog started to prepare the batter: brought together in a bowl corn flour and 00 flour, baking soda, sugar, paprika and a pinch of salt and stir the ingredients with a spatula to distribute them well.
- Add the egg and the milk gradually, stirring as with a whisk, until you have a smooth batter.
- Take the sausage and cut them in half, insert them with a wooden stick and pass them in the flour that you will put in a dish.
- Transfer the batter into a tall container and dip the sausages floured covering them entirely. As you will have covered them with the batter, fry the sausage in abundant seed oil, which must have reached the temperature of 170 °. When the corn dogs are golden (it will take about 3 minutes) extract them from the oil and put them to dry on a kitchen paper to absorb excess oil.
- Your corn dogs are ready to be served with your favorite sauces!
Author's tipsMarianna Pascarella
For the corn dog you choose a narrow and deep frying pan, so that the sausage is completely immersed in the oil.
If not used immediately you can keep the batter ready in the refrigerator for 12 hours at the most.