The friselle, also known as freselle in Neapolitan frisedde in Puglia, they are a type of crisp bread with the shape of a tarallo and often rather closed, which after being baked is cut in half and passed back into the oven to dry the water and obtain a crisp bread, much used, especially in summer , for the preparation of the toasted bread.
Friselle or freselle are generally prepared with a mixture of whole wheat flour and strength, although there are white variants or those more details based on special flour or blended with various seeds. The term frisella derived from "frisa"Indicating a type of bread baked twice (cookie). The double firing allows the bread to dry out and take the crunchy texture that characterizes it. Having no water inside it, this type of bread can be kept long, in a closed bag.
Friselle are very used in metric Neapolitan cuisine, where they are used for the preparation of prepared bruschetta with chopped tomatoes, extra virgin olive oil, garlic, oregano, basil, tuna or anchovies.
Read also how to make Tarallini
How do Friselle
Friselle or freselle in Neapolitan, is a type of bread shaped like a tarallo rather closed, crispy that are used, especially in summer, as bruschetta.
Ingredients (for 10 Friselle)
- To prepare the friselle or freselle started to crumble the yeast in the water beer and mix well to melt it completely. In a bowl brought together the two types of flour, salt and malted barley, stir well the dry ingredients and add the water in which you have dissolved the yeast. vigorously worked by hand or with a mixer until the dough string, resulting in a soft, elastic dough.
- Transfer the mixture in a glass or ceramic bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let rise for at least a couple of hours or until doubled dough.
- When the dough is leavened deflate it and transfer it to a lightly floured work surface, divide into 5 parts, then each piece shaped like a loaf of about 20 cm long and close both ends as to form a tarallo.
- Place the bagels on a baking tray lined with greaseproof paper, slightly apart from each other, and let rise for another hour.
- Bake the friselle in preheated oven at 175 degrees for about 25 minutes, then sfornatele and allow to cool.
- Cut in half horizontally every fresella and put on a baking sheet with the cut side facing up.
- Bake again friselle in the oven at 160 degrees for 30-40 minutes, then sfornatele and let them cool completely.
- Your Friselle freselle or are ready to be used.
Author's tipsMarianna Pascarella
The Friselle are kept closed in a freezer bag for 2-3 months.