The freselle tomato Neapolitan They are simple toasted bread prepared with a crisp bread, subjected to a double firing, known as fresella, frisella or fresedda. the freselle can be used chopped in soups or as croutons in salads or, more commonly, as a base for bruschetta.
The freselle Neapolitan tomatoes are prepared with freselle whole seeds, made with white whole wheat flour, which can be easily prepared at home and keep a long time in a tightly closed bag for foods. If you love a crunchy texture you can decide to only farcirle, otherwise, if you prefer that your Friselle are softer, you can wet them with water before farcirle.
The freselle tomatoes are prepared simply with tomatoes cut into very small pieces, flavored with fresh basil, extra virgin olive oil, garlic and salt, but if you want to try something different you can add cubes of mozzarella, anchovies or tuna in oil drained.
Read also how to make the Mediterranean Bruschettone
How do freselle tomato
The freselle tomato Neapolitan or Friselle, are tomato bruschetta made with toasted bread in a large tarallo form.
Ingredients (for 10 freselle)
For the Filling:
- To prepare the freselle tomato Neapolitan started to prepare freselle, if you have not already ready in the pantry. Dissolve yeast crumbled into the water brewing, mix the flour with the salt and malt and add the water. Work it all with a mixer (or vigorously by hand) until the dough string, which will then become smooth and elastic.
- Transfer the mixture into a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let rise until doubled (it will take at least a couple of hours).
- Take back the dough, deflate it and divide it into 5 parts, with each consisting of loaves of about 20cm, then close them as a tarallo, arranging the bagels on a baking tray, a little 'spaced.
- Let rise the freselle for an hour, then bake in preheated oven at 175 degrees for 25 minutes, sfornatele and let cool, then cut them in half horizontally.
- Arrange all the half freselle on a baking sheet, with the cut part facing upwards, and bake again at 160 ° for 30-40 minutes, will have to dry. Then sfornatele and let them cool completely.
- Wash the tomatoes and cut them in half and then into small pieces, cut into thin slices also the garlic, add the chopped basil, salt and oil to taste.
- Mix well and use the tomatoes for stuffing freselle.
- Your freselle tomatoes are ready!